Music research topics can be very diverse; they can be related to culture, psychology, performance techniques, education, and so forth. If you need great ideas for your research papers or essays, this article is just what you need. You will be able to use at least one of the ideas here.
Music Research Topics: How Music Can Influence People
There are many books and articles written about the effects of music on the mental state of a person. There are many interesting research paper topics that you may consider. Here are some examples:
- Therapeutic effects of music;
- Musical improvisation as a means of treating mood disorders;
- Musical memory of children and methods for its development;
- The effects of background music on attention;
- The causes of amusia and the treatment of this disorder;
- The impact of music on various brain regions;
- The influence of music on people suffering from heart diseases;
- Artificial intelligence and the recognition of music;
- The connection between the savant syndrome and musical talent.
Music Research Topics: History, Culture and Society
History of music and its cultural development can be a great subject for your research paper. Moreover, you can speak about the influence of social and technological changes on music. You can take a look at the following prompts and questions:
- The development of online technologies and their impact on recording industry;
- The separation of church music and secular music during the Baroque period;
- Ragtime and its cultural origins;
- Chamber music and its evolution;
- Musical genres that emerged during the Middle Ages;
- The evolution of folk music in the United States;
- The origins of trip-hop and the main features of this musical style;
- The development of classical music in the first half of the twentieth century.
Musical Research Topics: The Works of Great Composers
If you are searching for a great musical research topic, you can surely discuss the works of great composers. Moreover, you can speak about great musicians and their performing techniques:
- Jascha Heifetz and his violin-playing technique;
- Richard Wagner and his contribution to the development of opera;
- Igor Stravinsky and his use of rhythm. Refer to the Rite of Spring.
- Chopin and his approach to the education of pianists;
- Verdi’s La Traviata and its instrumentation.
There are many challenging and interesting topics for music research papers. If you choose one of them and put forward a solid argument about it, you will be likely to receive a good grade.